Sunday, January 18, 2009

be careful what you say

SO I take back my last post about being so bored and having a cranky, clingy baby.

Last night around 6pm I noticed that Jackson was pretty warm. He had felt kind of on the warm side all day but he really made me take note last night. So, after some Tylenol, a home visit from our favorite nurse Adele, we came up with a plan of alternating Tylenol and Motrin every 2-3 hours. Man it felt like I was back to the nursing nights, waking up so often, waking up a sleeping baby and constantly feeding him cherry and grape flavored medicine. I took his temperature every time I gave him his dose and the highest I came up with was 102.6 under his arm.

This morning I decided to take him into Urgent Care, which opened at 12. So at 1130 we packed up, drove 10 minutes down the street to insure that we would be first in line. And of course we were, and I just had to wait outside for 20 minutes for the door to open. In the meantime, people kept pulling in and standing outside with us. I've never been to urgent care and there were 2 sets of doors. I thought, "awesome, we're by the ones they are going to open and of course everyone is going to go in in the same order that they arrived. And since I have the cranky baby they will definitely let me go first, no question." Well, not so much. They opened the OTHER set of doors and the people went running. Guess where I ended up........yep, the back of the line! Great!

So after filling out paper work and waiting for 45 minutes while people with an ace bandage wrapped around their little finger went ahead of me....thank you very much for your consideration....we were finally called back. And an hour and a half later we were out of there. Jackson was weighed, poked, prodded and had the thermometer put up there, and the final diagnosis was a temperature of 104 and a viral infection that we were to keep treating with Tylenol and Motrin.

So I'm happy to report that once we got home, took a mini nap(both of us), Jackson's temperature was finally down and after a fun time in the bath tub, he was back to his playful self and cool as a cucumber. YAY! We are still doing the meds until the morning just to be on the safe side but I'm definitely going to sleep easier tonight knowing that he feels better....and much cooler!

So lesson learned......be careful what you say and wish for but you might just get it in another shape or form!

No comments: