Thursday, June 3, 2010

All Things POTTY!

For the past 24 hours we have been consumed with potty training. We started yesterday at noon right after we got back from my doctor's appointment. Everything is still going great and we are now on track for going every 2 weeks. The time is getting closer for baby Jennings' arrival!

I read this book a few days before we tackled potty training....it's ok. It gave me some good pointers and tips but nothing I didn't read on the internet - plus my goal isn't for training in a day - more like 3 days but this is the closest the bookstore had to that.
Here is part of our stash of potty training gear - race car undies, training pants, and water proof training pants.
Here is our other stash....so far we haven't used the pull ups nighttime...I wanted to use up the 3 diapers we had left. We have used 2 of the walmart brand pull ups for nap time only though.
Jackson favorite part of potty training....CANDY! His two favorites - M&M's and gummy bears.
The inside storage of the step stool - filled with entertainment while pottying - books, cars, stickers.
Here is the boy in all his glory....sometimes he wants pants, other times he wants to run naked so that's how he has been a majority of today.
The timer - every time that bell rings - whether set at 20 mins or 30 mins - Jackson gets so excited because more than likely he is getting candy. Really it's to remind me to reward him if he is still dry and then to go potty.
The place where it all goes down.....or it's supposed to! Jackson with the mask, or decoration, or whatever it is Jeremy brought back from Hawaii.
The all important toilet - we've got the BEST potty seat EVER - Baby Bjorn- fits all toilets and is FABULOUS for little boys because the splash guard is shaped just right - not all potty chairs and seats are created equal! lol! We've got the potty chart, potty wipes, and our potty chair is our step stool - he is just too big and tall for it so this is the alternative!
I also bought kool aid squeeze its so he would drink a lot and have lots of opportunities to potty. I picked him out a package of cool straws to encourage the drinking and everything - but the boy just loves milk and ESPECIALLY chocolate milk. He is not a big juice drinker no matter how hard I try. "Come on kid.....I'm offering you sugar - what's wrong with you!"

Yesterday we started off with a pee pee accident and then he stayed dry and went potty for most of the afternoon. He asked to go potty once and then had an accident about 10 minutes later. I was proud of him for knowing he needed to go - guess he had some in reserve though.

Potty training is EXHAUSTING. It's probably a combination of running to and from the toilet and running after him to make sure he isn't going potty on the floor, and being 32 weeks pregnant and alone and no break! Hopefully it'll all pay off - and sooner rather than later! I'm going to give it a good week or so - at least until Jeremy gets home next Friday. If we haven't had any improvement then I think we'll wait a month or two or until he tells me "No more diapers." I'm feeling pretty confident though and he has shown all the signs of readiness so we're just going to go with it!

And if you read all this boring potty talk until now - congrats......you're probably Jackson's Nana or Mama Lou or you are just REALLY bored;)

Wish us luck until I update tomorrow!

No comments: