Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Cause and Effect

*THIS IS A LONG ONE FOLKS! SORRY TO BORE YOU!*

I can clearly remember being in school and learning about cause and effect. I remember this because effect and affect are so similar but an effect is by "cause" of something and therefore, when a baby is poked, or in this case jabbed by a needle, they cry......hard and loud. I accidentally watched during today's 4 month appointment my little man get his shot and let me tell ya, that is some white and tender meat and he was so smiley before it happened and even smiled at the nurse - mistake #1. Poor thing didn't even know what was coming.....ugh, I hope this gets easier.


I have been doing endless research on shots and age of children and the possible side-effects of the vaccines, what they are made of, and which ones are most important to get and when. I have books, websites bookmarked, and blogs in which I participate debating - To vaccinate or not. It is so overwhelming and frustrating trying to "figure out" what you should do for your own child, hopefully making the right decisions and knowing that "if" something happens you are comfortable and intelligent enough in the decision that you made to be OK with the possible consequences. I tried to do research when I was pregnant right before Jackson was born about the shots that he would receive in the hospital minutes after he was born. I had originally decided against them, for good reason, but before we left, we caved and got the darn shot. Again, going into his 2 month visit, I was confused and decided just to get them all at one time - which made for a rough night and my doubt as a good mom. Now, I have a super book and lots of information to help me make an informed decision and I know more about pharmaceutical companies and ingredients that are in their vaccines than I know about this state that I live in! There is so much debate between the CDC and parents that have their own child as proof that sometimes, bad things happen as a result of vaccines. I know a lot about Autism, since having a degree in Special Education and working with all different levels of the syndrome. I know that it is WAY more prevalent in boys than in girls and I firmly believe that most cases of Autism are a result of some of the ingredients in certain vaccines and at what age they are administered. So I feel that it is my obligation as a mom, and maybe an already overprotective mom in some aspects, to do what I feel is right for my child. Whew.....I never saw this coming when I imagined becoming a mommy, but everyday is a new opportunity to learn and grow with your sweet baby and protect them as best as you know how.

Wow...that feels better to get out, more for myself than for an audience! Thanks for bearing with me.

We have breakthrough sleep over here in the cozy Northwest.....Jackson is sleeping in his big boy bed....his crib! I knew he would use it eventually. We started the process Friday night, when both me and Jeremy could alternate getting up and soothing our crying baby, because of course it would be a huge adjustment and he would be so scared to not be sleeping in the same room as his parents. Boy was I wrong! He went to bed at 9:30pm and woke up at 6:30am. Only once did we have to go in and give him his paci! Now he is sleeping from 9:30 - 6:30/7am and wakes once during the early morning hours for 20 seconds and puts himself right back to sleep! It is amazing how good it feels to sleep, almost uninterrupted - I still get up 2 times to check on him for my own well-being. He is getting so big....speaking of which.....he now weighs 14.42 pounds and is 25.8 inches long. He is in the 50th percentile for weight and 75th for length. Jeremy thinks he is going to be a professional basketball player because of his height. However, my doctor told me at 2 years old that I was going to be close to 6 feet tall, and well, he was WAY off - ha ha! Alrighty folks, off to finish laundry before Jackson wakes up. Thanks for letting me rant and rumble to myself and anyone that reads this blog. Have a great week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such a good mommy! I can;t imagine how hard it is to make all those decisions... especially when doctors say it's okay to give babies all those shots! You really have to stick to you guns. I imagine it's hard as hell. kt